From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: testing system + gcc-5.2 anyone?
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 15:09:31
1 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch <at> skynet.be> writes:
4 > > Just for grins, I'm thinking about installing a gentoo system
5 > > that is (~) testing and newer codes and setting gcc-.5.2
6 > I don't use lxqt here, but ...
7
8 lxqt is trivial and not critical, so let's just ignore that part.
9
10 > I'm using gcc-5.2.0 very successfully here. I am not aware of a single
11 package which doesn't compile with
12 > this version.
13 > And the kernel itself compiles just fine (currentlich running 4.2.0-rc6
14 compiled with gcc-5.2.0)
15
16 WOW! cool beans.....
17
18 OK so going this far out on the compiler is new ground for me
19 (but very exciting too....
22 Looking at the portage tree, I doubt you got gcc-5.2.8 there......?
23
24 using 'eix -eR' I do not see and ebuild anywhere for that new
25 and specific version (5.2.8)
28 Did you use a (9999) version from somewhere?
29 eix -eR gcc | grep 9999
30 (4.8-vcs) **4.8.4_pre9999^s[11]
31 (4.9-vcs) **4.9.1_pre9999^s[11]
32 (4.10-vcs) **4.10.0_pre9999^s[11]
33 (9999) **9999^s[6]
34
35 Or can your reference some guide or briefly outline the steps to
36 you used (including patches) to get gcc-5.2.8 ?
37
38 I'm guess you just had a regularly (default) gentoo install and upgraded
39 the gcc and then just recompiled (@everyhing?) Some guidance on that
40 process would be keen too.
41
42 > One caveat though when upgrading a system which has been built with gcc-x
43 for x < 5.
44 > The (pure) C++ libraries aren't compatible with older versions so that all
45 packages which link to
46 > libstdc++ or libsupc++ have to be rebuilt. Packages which just use C
47 aren't effected at all.
48
49 What about boost?
50
51 I'll start off with a minimal install and get it all upgraded to
52 gcc-5.2.8-rhelmut and then slow add/test codes from there...
53
54 > Helmut
55
56 This is fantastic!
57
58 THANKS IN ADVANCE for any guidance you are comfortable providing.
61 James