From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} ISP requires MTU below 1500?
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2016 20:13:13
1 Am Wed, 21 Sep 2016 12:32:48 -0700
2 schrieb Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>:
3
4 > [...]
5 > [...]
6 > >>
7 > >>
8 > >> I'm seeing the issue again as usual but ping response times come
9 > >> back normal at about 50ms. I'll keep trying.
10 > >
11 > > Not sure if this came after or before switching your router to modem
12 > > mode... But if it happened before and is solved now, your router
13 > > really doesn't well with icmp packets or has problems with mss
14 > > clamping / pmtu.
17 > I did not try pinging before switching the device from router to
18 > modem.
19 >
20 > BTW, I read that setting CLAMPMSS=Yes in shorewall.conf is a necessity
21 > when using PPPoE but my connection is working fine without that
22 > setting. Should I set it anyway?
23
24 If pmtu discovery is working correctly, this is - in theory - not
25 needed. It violates the protocol guarantees anyway. But it reduces
26 packet fragmentation with encapsulation protocols like pppoe (because
27 pppoe reserves some extra bytes of headers which reduces your amount of
28 payload per packet).
31 Regards,
32 Kai
33