From: Sean <sean-gentoo@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Qmail and Spamassassin won't integrate
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 12:03:07
1 On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 05:13:21PM -0600, darren kirby wrote:
2 > quoth the Tim Garton:
3 >
4 > Hi Tim,
5 >
6 > > I run spamassassin with exim, so can't offer all that much help, but
7 > > as for attempt 1 you may try running:
8 > > spamc -R < {some file containing full source of a sample email}
9 > >
10 > > to make sure spamassassin is running correctly. It should spit back a
11 > > score and a possibly a list of tests failed, depending on how
12 > > spamassassin is configured. if you don't get this, or get a score
13 > > like "0/0", something is wrong with your spamassassin setup.
14 >
15 > Thanks for this. 'spamc -R < testmail' was failing (hanging forever)
16 > while 'spamassassin < testmail' was working fine. This led me to run the
17 > spamc command within strace, which showed the command blocked during
18 > a 'connect' call to 127.0.0.7. Would you believe it was a firewall issue? I
19 > forgot to allow conections to localhost in my iptables script.
20 >
21 > > Also, you don't want the "-P" option anymore, it is deprecated and is
22 > > the default behaviour of spamassassin now. And you definitely don't
23 > > want it with spamc, since it is an invalid option. And yes, you do
24 > > want to use "spamc" over "spamassassin" for performance reasons.
25 >
26 > Thanks for the explanation.
27 >
28 > After confirming spamc now works I played around some more. It seems my
29 > ~/.qmail file was overriding the system-wide spam check in 'defaultdelivery'.
30 >
31 > I changed ~/.qmail from:
32 >
33 > |/var/qmail/bin/preline -f /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver
34 >
35 > to:
36 >
37 > |spamc |/var/qmail/bin/preline -f /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver
38 >
39 > ...and everything seems to be cherry now. All incoming mail now has X-Spam
40 > headers added.
43 qmail-scanner (mail-filter/qmail-scanner) can take care of that too, as
44 well as running the email through clamav (assuming you have that
45 installed).
48 Sean
49
50 Guy in Chicken Suit: Enjoy your chicken sandwich.
51 Stewie Griffin: Enjoy your studio apartment.