From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange network behaviour: NIC goes down, DHCP lease renewal fails
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 21:39:12
1 Am Thu, 5 Mar 2015 13:33:23 -0500
2 schrieb Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>:
3
4 > * Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> [150305 04:47]:
5 > [..SNIP..]
6 > > 1.) The NIC is brought up (some built-in Intel model).
7 > >
8 > > 2.) A DHCP client configures it.
9 > >
10 > > 3.) The network connection is lost at some point (the amount of time this takes
11 > > varies, but it can be as little as 20 minutes).
12 > >
13 > > 4.) Eventually the lease runs out and the DHCP client tries to renew it, but
14 > > gets no response. Sometimes, after many hours (at least 6), it will get a
15 > > DHCPACK, but that's it. One of our sysadmins says that not only does
16 > > the DHCP server never see the packets, but the managed switch that the PC
17 > > is directly attached to *also* never does (again, except for when the
18 > > occasional DHCPACK comes).
19 > >
20 > > 4.) Restart the network device. A reboot is not required, but it is necessary
21 > > to terminate the DHCP client. After that everything works again.
22 > >
23 > > 5.) GOTO 3.
24 > [..SNIP..]
25 >
26 > Is this a WiFi NIC?
27
28 Nope, it's wired.
29
30 > Is it possible the device is powering down?
31
32 I mentioned the possibility, but don't find it *that* credible, since three
33 different PCs (with different NICs) have shown the problem. Plus, sometimes the
34 one affected PC I work on can still reach the internet (i.e., a browser works),
35 even though it has already ceased to be reachable.
36
37 [...]
40 Marc Joliet
41 --
42 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
43 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup