From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange network behaviour: NIC goes down, DHCP lease renewal fails
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 18:33:31
1 * Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> [150305 04:47]:
2 [..SNIP..]
3 > 1.) The NIC is brought up (some built-in Intel model).
4 >
5 > 2.) A DHCP client configures it.
6 >
7 > 3.) The network connection is lost at some point (the amount of time this takes
8 > varies, but it can be as little as 20 minutes).
9 >
10 > 4.) Eventually the lease runs out and the DHCP client tries to renew it, but
11 > gets no response. Sometimes, after many hours (at least 6), it will get a
12 > DHCPACK, but that's it. One of our sysadmins says that not only does
13 > the DHCP server never see the packets, but the managed switch that the PC
14 > is directly attached to *also* never does (again, except for when the
15 > occasional DHCPACK comes).
16 >
17 > 4.) Restart the network device. A reboot is not required, but it is necessary
18 > to terminate the DHCP client. After that everything works again.
19 >
20 > 5.) GOTO 3.
21 [..SNIP..]
22
23 Is this a WiFi NIC?
24
25 Is it possible the device is powering down?
26
27 I've had lots of problems with WiFi devices powering down (both driver
28 issues as well as just trying to disable the default setting of powering
29 down.)
30
31 Todd