From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange network behaviour: NIC goes down, DHCP lease renewal fails
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 05:56:14
1 On Thu, 5 Mar 2015 13:33:23 -0500
2 Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > * Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> [150305 04:47]:
5 > [..SNIP..]
6 > > 1.) The NIC is brought up (some built-in Intel model).
7 > >
8 > > 2.) A DHCP client configures it.
9 > >
10 > > 3.) The network connection is lost at some point (the amount of
11 > > time this takes varies, but it can be as little as 20 minutes).
12 > >
13 > > 4.) Eventually the lease runs out and the DHCP client tries to
14 > > renew it, but gets no response. Sometimes, after many hours (at
15 > > least 6), it will get a DHCPACK, but that's it. One of our
16 > > sysadmins says that not only does the DHCP server never see the
17 > > packets, but the managed switch that the PC is directly attached to
18 > > *also* never does (again, except for when the occasional DHCPACK
19 > > comes).
20 > >
21 > > 4.) Restart the network device. A reboot is not required, but it
22 > > is necessary to terminate the DHCP client. After that everything
23 > > works again.
24 > >
25 > > 5.) GOTO 3.
26 > [..SNIP..]
27 >
28 > Is this a WiFi NIC?
29 >
30 > Is it possible the device is powering down?
31 >
32 > I've had lots of problems with WiFi devices powering down (both driver
33 > issues as well as just trying to disable the default setting of
34 > powering down.)
37 +1
38
39 I've seen similar things many times myself (but nevr on Intel network
40 kit so far)
41
42 A lot of reading and Googling usually leads to the solution:
43
44 - firmware upgrade for the hardware
45 - use the correct driver (this is often non-obvious)
46 - try the in-kernel driver vs any out-of-tree vendor driver
47 - apply driver parameters designed to work around buggy hardware (this
48 often involves (much reading)
49
50 Alan