From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange network behaviour: NIC goes down, DHCP lease renewal fails
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 21:19:56
1 On Thursday 05 Mar 2015 18:33:23 Todd Goodman wrote:
2 > * Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> [150305 04:47]:
3 > [..SNIP..]
4 >
5 > > 1.) The NIC is brought up (some built-in Intel model).
6 > >
7 > > 2.) A DHCP client configures it.
8 > >
9 > > 3.) The network connection is lost at some point (the amount of time this
10 > > takes
11 > >
12 > > varies, but it can be as little as 20 minutes).
13 > >
14 > > 4.) Eventually the lease runs out and the DHCP client tries to renew it,
15 > > but
16 > >
17 > > gets no response. Sometimes, after many hours (at least 6), it will
18 > > get a DHCPACK, but that's it. One of our sysadmins says that not
19 > > only does the DHCP server never see the packets, but the managed
20 > > switch that the PC is directly attached to *also* never does (again,
21 > > except for when the occasional DHCPACK comes).
22 > >
23 > > 4.) Restart the network device. A reboot is not required, but it is
24 > > necessary
25 > >
26 > > to terminate the DHCP client. After that everything works again.
27 > >
28 > > 5.) GOTO 3.
29 >
30 > [..SNIP..]
31 >
32 > Is this a WiFi NIC?
33 >
34 > Is it possible the device is powering down?
35 >
36 > I've had lots of problems with WiFi devices powering down (both driver
37 > issues as well as just trying to disable the default setting of powering
38 > down.)
39 >
40 > Todd
41
42 If not a WiFi, have you also tried to mirror a port at the router where the
43 DHCP server is running and sniff packets there? Does the router see the
44 DHCPREQ coming through from the client PCs?
47 Regards,
48 Mick