From: Caveman Al Toraboran <toraboracaveman@××××××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2020 13:07:26
1 ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
2 On Friday, August 28, 2020 11:27 PM, antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On 26/08/2020 21:21, Grant Taylor wrote:
5 >
6 > > > so basically total expected number of protocols/layers used in the
7 > > > universe, per second, will be much less if we, on planet earth, use a
8 > > > mail system that uses HTTP* instead of RESXCH_*.
9 > >
10 > > I obviously disagree.
11 >
12 > Exactly. You now need a protocol/layer that says you're running "mail
13 > over http" as opposed to "web". HTTP is tcp/80 that means web. As soon
14 > as you start using it for something (anything) else you've just added
15 > another protocol/layer.
16
17 you know there is this almost neat concept called
18 url?
19
20 rumours say that urls can identify various web
21 applications, ranging from websites, rss, games,
22 video, and, guess what? mails. all over
23 http/https/h2 over same tcp 80/443. hard to
24 believe, but this magic is known since early
25 1990s.
26
27 are you saying [1] won't work unless we have a new
28 tcp port for it?
29
30 [1] https://github.com/al-caveman/hillarymail
31 (work in progress, incomplete)
32
33 i don't want to repeat. re-read this sub-tread,
34 and search for "resource exchange layer". you
35 really don't know what's http*.
36
37 also not going to respond to you in this
38 sub-thread any more (ignore list is growing...).
39
40 side note: i seriously suspect that we got GPT-4
41 bots in the list.