From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 19:27:59
1 On 26/08/2020 21:21, Grant Taylor wrote:
2 >> so basically total expected number of protocols/layers used in the
3 >> universe, per second, will be much less if we, on planet earth, use a
4 >> mail system that uses HTTP* instead of RESXCH_*.
5 >
6 > I obviously disagree.
7
8 Exactly. You now need a protocol/layer that says you're running "mail
9 over http" as opposed to "web". HTTP is tcp/80 that *means* web. As soon
10 as you start using it for something (anything) else you've just added
11 another protocol/layer.
12
13 I get the distinct impression that Grant doesn't actually understand
14 what TCP is ... (hint - it has port numbers that are meant (if they're
15 not abused) to indicate what is going over the connection, like SMTP, or
16 HTTP, or POP, or IMAP, etc etc).
17
18 Cheers,
19 Wol