From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Should I be worried that I won't be able to dual boot in Gentoo?
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 07:00:44
1 On Monday, September 26, 2011 10:26:03 PM Jonas de Buhr wrote:
2 > >I am assuming that unlike the old days when I used to boot Linux on
3 > >PCs using a floppy with SmartBootManager, now we'll need to generate
4 > >some key/hash for our freshly compiled kernel, then add it to the BIOS
5 > >firmware and flash the BIOS with it before we are able to boot into it?
6 > >
7 > >Is it more complicated than that?
8 >
9 > how are you going to write to the bios if it doesn't let you?
10 >
11 > maybe you are determined enough to manually flash the chip every time
12 > you update grub but i think thats a buzzkill for >90% of the users ;)
13
14 Eerhm...
15 If Grub is the bootloader, wouldn't we just need to have a "signed" version of
16 Grub?
19 Joost