From: Hogren <hogren@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Retrieving bounced list messages
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2017 09:45:50
1 Hello,
4 With a little search, I saw it (on MARC, software used by gentoo [1]) :
5
6 " Robot policy
7
8 In theory, we don't mind people snarfing down some MARC pages for
9 off-line reading. (I travel a lot, and sometimes want to pull down long
10 threads before hitting the road to read locally, etc.)
11
12 On the other hand... first, if we think you are a spam-bot
13 address-harvester, no death is slow or painful enough. Also, even if
14 well-intentioned, a robot crawling MARC can sometimes create a DoS; if
15 the robot sustains many parallel requests (or we happen to be hit by
16 multiple different robots at the same time) and doesn't back off if the
17 site starts to slow down, it can bog down the server. In a perfect world
18 MARC would scale better, and would automatically recognize abusive
19 robots 100% accurately, 100% of the time. But since it's not a perfect
20 world... we may throttle traffic from you if your IP, user-agent, or
21 IP/user-agent combination have misbehaved in the past.
22
23 If you want to crawl MARC, please be sure you have a delay between
24 requests, say one or two seconds. If you think we've mis-identified you
25 as a robot, please feel free to contact us. Please include information
26 we'll need to find your activity in our logs, such as the time you get
27 this message, the IP address(es) you are browsing from, and the
28 user-agent (web browser) you are using."
31 With this warning, you can use the MARC interface to try to dump what
32 you want. Try to start with at the mailing list page [2]. The on MARC
33 contains date, and others mail headers. Use libcurl and sed should be
34 sufficient for your needs.
38 [1] : https://marc.info/?q=about
39
40 [2] : https://marc.info/?l=gentoo-announce&r=1&w=2