From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] dm-crypt + ext4 = where will the journal go?
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2012 18:35:59
1 Am 04.09.2012 00:12, schrieb "Roland Häder":
2 > Okay, I have made a little progress. I have generated my private key
3 > using some random data + gpg:
4 >
5 > # head -c 3705 /dev/urandom | head -n 66 | tail -n 65 > key.out # gpg
6 > --symmetric -a --s2k-count 8388608 key.out <Enter your password
7 > twice> # mv key.out.asc key.gpg # rm -f key.out
10 Two minor suggestions:
11
12 1. Maybe it would be a good idea to use an ASCII-only random string, for
13 example by piping it through `base64 -w 0`. That way you don't loose any
14 entropy (the key just gets longer) but it is easier to type the keyfile
15 manually, in case you ever need to. You also don't have to worry about
16 odd behavior of password prompts anymore.
17
18 2. You should `shred` key.out instead of `rm`.
19
20 > Now I have to copy that file on my stick and setup
21 > /etc/conf.d/dmcrypt:
22 >
23 > # whole root system encrypted with gpg key from removeable media
24 > target=crypt-root source='/dev/hdaX' key='/key:gpg' # This is your
25 > stick remdev='/dev/sda1'
26 >
27 > But what next? The example at [1] is based on key-only file (no
28 > passphrase). I know, later on /etc/conf.d/dmcrypt must be placed on
29 > the new root-fs but what now? I still have to setup it. cryptsetup
30 > doesn't do anything with gpg. So I have setup a pipeline?
33 I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean, therefore I just start
34 babbling. ;-)
35
36 The dmcrypt init script cannot be used for encrypting the root fs, a
37 separate /usr or /etc. At least, I don't see a way to do it and I don't
38 see it in the examples in my /etc/conf.d/dmcrypt.
39
40 However, you can use it for all other directories containing sensitive
41 data (/home, /srv, /var, /tmp). You might still need a skeleton
42 directory structure of /var for the early boot stages but that's about it.
43
44 Getting root encrypted is the sole responsibility of your initrd.
45
46 Regards,
47 Florian Philipp