From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [~amd64] Keyboard stops working several times/day
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 21:22:10
1 Am Sun, 16 Aug 2015 09:45:52 -0700
2 schrieb walt <w41ter@×××××.com>:
3
4 > I've been seeing this keyboard problem for the past few weeks: after
5 > running some command from a bash prompt (haven't tried zsh yet) the
6 > keyboard stops working. Almost like somebody unplugged the keyboard
7 > from its usb port (except that the LED on the keyboard stays lit so I
8 > know the power is still on).
9 >
10 > There are no error messages in journalctl or in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
11 >
12 > I don't know how to change to a console without using a ctrl-alt-Fn
13 > keystroke from the keyboard (anyone know if it's possible?).
14 >
15 > When I unplug the keyboard from the usb port I can see the kernel
16 > recognize the unplug event, which makes me think that it's not a
17 > kernel/usb bug or a broken wire in the keyboard cable.
18 >
19 > When I re-plug the keyboard into a usb port the keyboard immediately
20 > starts working normally again until the next time I happen to trigger
21 > the problem by running some black-magical command from a command
22 > prompt. There is no particular command that causes it--it can be any
23 > arbitrary command AFAICT.
24 >
25 > Just one weird example: I can be typing a URL in a web browser window
26 > when a bash command finishes running in a terminal window and the
27 > keyboard stops working in the middle of my typing :(
28 >
29 > Any debugging suggestions would be most welcome.
30
31 I don't think you mention precisely which (type of) keyboard you use within
32 this thread (please forgive me if I overlooked it). Does it happen to be a
33 Logitech "Unifying Receiver" model? My experience with the one I have is that
34 the relative position and orientation of the keyboard to the receiver can
35 strongly affect its reliability. Specifically, when the orientation is "bad",
36 the keyboard will stop working intermittently (workarounds included moving the
37 keyboard, but that never helped permanently). Moving the receiver to a USB slot
38 in the side of the desktop case (as opposed to one in the back), thus changing
39 its orientation by 90°, made the keyboard perform reliably again.
40
41 (My suspicion is that the directionality of the receiver and/or keyboard is not
42 uniform, though I can also imagine that the problem is (also?) caused by
43 interference with WLAN or something like that.)
44
45 HTH
46 --
47 Marc Joliet
48 --
49 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
50 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup