From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gcc build fails during emerge system on new 64-bit install
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 20:38:51
1 On Thursday 24 June 2010 00:33:24 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > This is my first attempt at 64-bit mode. I have a shiny new Intel i3
3 > with 8 gigs ram on an MSI motherboard. I got it custom-built locally in
4 > north Toronto, rather than ordering from Dell. The MSI motherboard has
5 > PS/2 ports (YES!!!) so I don't have to tearfully throw away my genuine
6 > IBM PS/2 "clickety-clack" keyboard. I selected the profile...
7 >
8 > default/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib
9 >
10 > ...to go whole-hog 64-bit. Does leaving IA32_EMULATION on cause a
11 > problem?
12
13 I thought that you can't have IA32_emulation without multilib ...
14
15 Is there a reason why you don't go for a usual desktop profile with multilib?
16 I'll repeat the advice I was given in this list sometime around last Christmas
17 (but can't find the thread now): you're bound to find some pesky application
18 which is only available in 32bit and then you'll curse for having to
19 reinstall.
20
21 > #
22 > # Executable file formats / Emulations
23 > #
24 > CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
25 > CONFIG_COMPAT_BINFMT_ELF=y
26 > CONFIG_CORE_DUMP_DEFAULT_ELF_HEADERS=y
27 > # CONFIG_HAVE_AOUT is not set
28 > CONFIG_BINFMT_MISC=y
29 > CONFIG_IA32_EMULATION=y
30 > # CONFIG_IA32_AOUT is not set
31 > CONFIG_COMPAT=y
32 > CONFIG_COMPAT_FOR_U64_ALIGNMENT=y
33 > CONFIG_SYSVIPC_COMPAT=y
34 > CONFIG_NET=y
35 > CONFIG_COMPAT_NETLINK_MESSAGES=y
36 >
37 > I've attached the tail-end of the build log file of gcc-4.4.3-r2, as
38 > well as output from "emerge --info" and "emerge -pqv". I have a quite
39 > conservative make.conf. Any ideas about the problem, or even better, a
40 > solution?
41
42 Have you tried setting -j1 and trying emerging it once more?
43 --
44 Regards,
45 Mick