From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with MAKEOPTS -j
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:08:09
1 On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 3:37 AM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
2 > Have anyone experienced problems with MAKEOPTS?
3 >
4 > I have a quad-core system, so I put in "-j5". But that resulted in
5 > emerge fails for binutils and ppl. I have to change it to "-j3" before
6 > ppl can be emerged, even "-j1" before binutils can be emerged.
7 >
8 > Anyone experiencing the same?
9
10 Sometimes. My understanding is that it comes from packages which are
11 badly constructed, and can't reliably handle parallel builds. I'm told
12 that these cases are bugs and should be reported. Sometimes, if I
13 watch build output fly by, I'll even see something like
14
15 make -j10 -j1 (some target name)
16
17 where a maintainer decided to put an overriding -j1 after MAKEOPTS.
20 About two years ago, I found that, on my system (quad-core AMD Phenom
21 9650), -j8 resulted in the fastest build time, as measured by building
22 ffmpeg.[1] Currently, I'm running -j10, and that's because I've been
23 using distcc to pass a couple compile tasks off to other systems.
24 (Though with the box I was deferring to scrapped for parts, I'll drop
25 this down to -j8 again)
26
27 [1] Tested by building in tmpfs. You can find my data here:
28 http://multimedia.cx/eggs/ffmpeg-and-multiple-build-threads/#comment-150325
31 :wq