From: Jason Carson <jay@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to do port-based routing?
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 19:32:23
1 > On 2008-03-03, Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na> wrote:
2 >> On Monday 03 March 2008, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >>> I'm trying to figure out how to do port-based routing. I found
4 >>> a HOWTO that does pretty much exactly what I'm trying to do:
5 >>>
6 >>> http://www.linuxhorizon.ro/iproute2.html
7 >>>
8 >>> However, it's using iptables, which I thought was deprecated,
9 >>
10 >> Not to my knowledge.
11 >
12 > I would have sworn that one source I found said that ipchains
13 > and iptables were both deprecated in favor of netfilter, but
14 > AFAICT, iptables is the user-space portion of netfilter.
15 >
16 > --
17 > Grant Edwards grante Yow! I Know A Joke!!
18 > at
19 > visi.com
20 >
21 > --
22 > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
25 ipchains is used in the 2.2 kernel. iptables is for the 2.4 and 2.6
26 kernels. From the netfilter website "Software commonly associated with
27 netfilter.org is iptables."
30 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list