From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 1 (Permission denied)
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 14:48:19
1 On 2021-02-10, antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On 09/02/2021 04:44, cal wrote:
3 >>> but it doesn't, when I log-in the XFCE4 is not starting automatically,
4 >>> I have to type manually: startxfce4
5 >>
6 >> I see you have already solved your problem.  But it bears mentioning:
7 >> .xinitrc is executed by runing `startx`, not by the login shell.
8 >
9 > Indeed, I don't know what "rc" at the end stands for, but if a file ends
10 > in rc it is almost always a *config* file, which is *read* by the target
11 > of interest. It is in no way shape or form an executable of any sort.
12
13 IIRC, rc originally stood for "run commands", and it contained a list
14 of commands for the application to run during initialization. They are
15 almostly always not executable, but rather configuration commands in
16 some application-specific syntax.
19 Grant