From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev: renaming eth0 to eth1 ???
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 16:31:42
1 On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > The reason I know this, I have three ethernet cards on my rig.  I replaced
3 > one of them and it was a mess.  They were laid out as 2, 3 then 1 and it
4 > took me a while to figure out which is which.  I deleted the rules file and
5 > restarted udev and the first one was 1 and so on.
6
7 Because of situations like yours I think it's better to suggest
8 editing the file to change/delete the affected devices rather than
9 suggesting to delete the whole thing (though that may depend on the
10 user's skill level).
11
12 Maybe there are other nics in the machine that are fine and don't need
13 to be changed, maybe they will auto-detect in a different order than
14 before, perhaps they've been moved around slots, and blowing away the
15 whole config might lead to other confusion later on when eth0 is fixed
16 but now eth1 and eth2 have been reversed, or whatever.
17
18 But I am a pessimist. :)