From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev: renaming eth0 to eth1 ???
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 17:57:34
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> The reason I know this, I have three ethernet cards on my rig. I replaced
5 >> one of them and it was a mess. They were laid out as 2, 3 then 1 and it
6 >> took me a while to figure out which is which. I deleted the rules file and
7 >> restarted udev and the first one was 1 and so on.
8 >>
9 > Because of situations like yours I think it's better to suggest
10 > editing the file to change/delete the affected devices rather than
11 > suggesting to delete the whole thing (though that may depend on the
12 > user's skill level).
13 >
14 > Maybe there are other nics in the machine that are fine and don't need
15 > to be changed, maybe they will auto-detect in a different order than
16 > before, perhaps they've been moved around slots, and blowing away the
17 > whole config might lead to other confusion later on when eth0 is fixed
18 > but now eth1 and eth2 have been reversed, or whatever.
19 >
20 > But I am a pessimist. :)
24 Well, it has been recommended here many times. Someone posted a udev
25 problem just a bit ago. If I were the poster, I would reemerge udev and
26 reboot. If it still has problems, I would emerge a older version,
27 delete the udev rules and reboot.
28
29 Unless you know what goes in those udev files, removing them is the
30 simplest way. When udev restarts, it will generate those files in a
31 flash. Keep in mind, when you shut down, udev removes most everything
32 in /dev too unless you have it set to save them.
33
34 Also, I posted here on how to fix my little naming problem. I was told
35 to delete the files and reboot. That's how I know it is safe to remove
36 them. Can a person just edit them sure. Why tho?
37
38 Dale
39