From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Xorg on my server (talk me out if it?)
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 18:48:06
1 > > I need to have VMware installed on my web server to test updates.
2 > > I've been searching for a way to do this without installing X for a
3 > > while, and it just doesn't seem do-able.
4 > >
5 > > Anyway, I'm about to install xorg on there and it seems like an
6 > > important decision. I'm wondering if anyone will tell me to hit the
7 > > brakes?
8 >
9 > What's wrong with a chroot? You can test updates to everything except the
10 > kernel. If you need that too, try UML.
13 I'm definitely still a beginner. A chroot would allow me to do this?
14 Would I even need VMware in that case?
15
16 What I'd like to be able to do is copy my current Gentoo server system
17 over to something (chroot, VMware, UML) and test emerges and
18 etc-updates on it to make sure nothing is broken. I would like to be
19 able to to test kernel changes, but I can live without it. UML
20 actually won't work at all because I use the hardened-sources.
21
22 - Grant
23
24 > --