From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are multiple emerges safe?
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 19:48:53
1 On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 19:26:41 +0100, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2
3 > Something that I always wondered about - does it
4 > actually *lose* speed? IOW: Is it, *IN* *TOTAL*
5 > slower to do multiple emerges in parallel compared
6 > to doing them sequentially?
7
8 It could be faster, when one emerge is in a CPU-intensive stage while
9 another is in an I/O-intensive stage. At that point, the computer would
10 be working harder than on either emerge individually.
14 Neil Bothwick
15
16 I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't give a damn.