From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Creating a restricted user
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:25:42
1 > > I'd like to create a really restricted user on my laptop. I don't
2 > > want the user to be able to do much of anything but browse the web,
3 > > use skype, and maybe look at photos on a CD or something. I did this:
4 > >
5 > > useradd -m -G users,audio,cdrom -s /sbin/nologin newuser
6 > >
7 > > How does that look? I've noticed when adding this kind of a user in
8 > > the past they are able to look at files all around the system that I'd
9 > > prefer they can't. Is there a good method for restricting that?
10 > > Maybe remove the users group? Is a weak password OK with this setup
11 > > since there's no shell access?
12 >
13 > Apparently -s /sbin/nologin wasn't such a good idea since the user
14 > then can't log in via GDM. Makes sense. I want the user to be able
15 > to log in via GDM but not via ssh. Is that configured in ssh?
16 >
17 > - Grant
18
19 I changed the new user's shell like 'chsh -s /bin/bash' and I can now
20 log in in the terminal but not in gdm. Logging in with gdm works fine
21 with my user. Does anyone know what the problem might be there?
22
23 - Grant
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list