From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Creating a restricted user
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:22:01
1 > I'd like to create a really restricted user on my laptop. I don't
2 > want the user to be able to do much of anything but browse the web,
3 > use skype, and maybe look at photos on a CD or something. I did this:
4 >
5 > useradd -m -G users,audio,cdrom -s /sbin/nologin newuser
6 >
7 > How does that look? I've noticed when adding this kind of a user in
8 > the past they are able to look at files all around the system that I'd
9 > prefer they can't. Is there a good method for restricting that?
10 > Maybe remove the users group? Is a weak password OK with this setup
11 > since there's no shell access?
12
13 Apparently -s /sbin/nologin wasn't such a good idea since the user
14 then can't log in via GDM. Makes sense. I want the user to be able
15 to log in via GDM but not via ssh. Is that configured in ssh?
16
17 - Grant
18 --
19 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list