From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Full system encryption on Gentoo
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 16:02:52
1 Jeremi Piotrowski <jeremi.piotrowski <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > On Thu, Dec 31, 2015 at 02:49:42PM +0100, Jeremi Piotrowski wrote:
5 > > I just tried the steps and indeed I forgot to mention a couple
6 > > of things.
7
8 > And one more: don't format the full disk as luks, because there won't be
9 > any space for grub and grub2-install will error out. Make a single
10 > partition (default should be offset 2048 sectors from the beginning of the
11 > disk) which leaves plenty of space for grub's bootstrap, and format that
12 > as luks.
15 It would be fantastic, if this thread and other updated and relevant
16 information made it's way to the gentoo wiki. My specific interest is
17 similar, but for minimized or embedded gentoo on other hardware platforms
18 (arm64 and other 64 bit chips).
21 Also, here is a linux kernel (not a fork?) that has peaked my curiosity,
22 as I try to ascertain the implications that are relevant to gentoo ::
23
24 http://www.zdnet.com/article/matthew-garrett-is-not-forking-linux/
27 Forking of the linux kernel for specific needs has not been necessary in the
28 past, as one would just not choose to use specific features, by natural
29 selection. But now it seems, even some of the lkm devs are asserting that
30 forking to add new/test/biased codes to the linux kernel sources presents a
31 very interesting and viable pathway for tightly focused development of
32 kernel sources. I think others will soon find this an interesting approach
33 for BoF to collect around cleaner kernel sources which are more focused on
34 the needs of a sub-group. As systemd and cluster codes both progress at a
35 rapid pace, there are tons of conflicts related to performance enhancements
36 and lowest level allocation/control of resources that is creating a need for
37 linux kernel forks. Some folks in the Hi Performance Computing communities
38 are already doing so, privately. I have been personally notified by one such
39 group that they are going to 'open source' their work, in detail, hopefully
40 early 2016, but as soon as practical. Speed optimized, dynamic cluster
41 formation and 100% encrypt-able platforms seem to be converging, imho.
44 hth,
45 James