From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] upower suddenly demands systemd
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2014 16:57:59
1 On 06/06/2014 05:34 PM, Gevisz wrote:
2 > After today's emerge-webrsync, I have found out that usual
3 > # emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --ask world
4 > does not work, trying but being unable to emerge systemd.
5 >
6 > As I have found out, the reason for it was that upower
7 > suddenly decided that it needs systemd but, for some
8 > (lucky :) reason, it could not be emerged as my system
9 > uses OpenRC.
10 >
11 > The latest news said the following:
12 >
13 > "UPower discontinued hibernate and suspend support in favor of systemd.
14 > Because of this, we have created a compability package at
15 > sys-power/upower-pm-utils which will give you the old UPower with
16 > sys-power/pm-utils support back.
17 > Some desktops have integrated the sys-power/pm-utils support directly
18 > to their code, like Xfce, and as a result, they work also with the new
19 > UPower as expected.
20 >
21 > All non-systemd users are recommended to choose between:
22 >
23 > # emerge --oneshot --noreplace 'sys-power/upower-pm-utils'
24 >
25 > or
26 >
27 > # emerge --oneshot --noreplace '>=sys-power/upower-0.99.0'
28 >
29 > However, all systemd users are recommended to stay with
30 > sys-power/upower."
31 >
32 > However, that news did *not* say that without
33 > # emerge --oneshot --noreplace 'sys-power/upower-pm-utils'
34 > it is impossible to update the system even if you use xfce.
35 >
36 > Only after executing the last command, which installed
37 > upower-pm-utils and unistalled upower, the
38 > # emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --ask world
39 > worked as desired.
40 >
41 > upower was not in my world file, so I think it's a some kind of a bug.
42 >
43 The situation you've encountered has been discussed at length on this
44 mailing list over the last few days.
45
46 Please see the threads with upower and systemd as the Subject matter for
47 further details.