From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnome complains about "no mixer elements and/or device" on login
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 14:35:53
1 Hi Nick,
2 I know it's unlikely, but one other possibility is the sound card
3 itself. A number of my RME cards (Hammerfall, HDSP 9652) actually have
4 no mixer elements, meaning they cannot be controlled by Alsamixer, and
5 so I get the same messages even though the cards work fine with
6 mplayer, etc. I somehow doubt this is your case but it doesn't hurt to
7 point out that this message can be normal.
8
9 Are you attempting to run the Gnome sound server? If there a
10 conflict happening there?
11
12 What sound hardware are you running?
13