From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Detecting printers at a remote site
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 17:28:11
1 Hi,
2 My 80 year old dad has been running Gentoo for 6 years now and done
3 fine. I administer the machine remotely as he lives 400 miles away.
4 Cups is up and running fine on his machine.
5
6 Now my mom is switching over to Gentoo and I've added & started
7 cups on her computer. I've added a client.conf file pointing at my
8 dad's machine. I'm now trying to figure out if I've configured cupsd
9 correctly on my dad's machine to allow my mom's machine to see it.
10
11 What commands can I run from the command line to see whether a
12 printer is available? My parents are not terribly computer literate
13 (who is in their 80's) so I need to ensure this is really working
14 before I tell them to use it.
15
16 Also, if a client points itself at a cups server and finds a
17 printer there, does the client need to install the printer 'locally'
18 telling its own cups that the printer is out there or does the printer
19 just start showing up in applications and cups running on both
20 machines takes care of the printe formatting issues? Essentially, how
21 much does Open Office on the client need to know about the printer on
22 the server?
23
24 Thanks,
25 Mark