From: Joseph <syscon@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Detecting printers at a remote site
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 03:53:24
1 It is hard to pin point the problem as you did not even post cupsd.conf;
2 however, here is a good article:
3 http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5055067.html
4
5 I even printed myself a hard copy; go through it.
8 #Joseph
9 GPG KeyID: ED0E1FB7
10
11 On 06/12/08 10:26, Mark Knecht wrote:
12 >Hi,
13 > My 80 year old dad has been running Gentoo for 6 years now and done
14 >fine. I administer the machine remotely as he lives 400 miles away.
15 >Cups is up and running fine on his machine.
16 >
17 > Now my mom is switching over to Gentoo and I've added & started
18 >cups on her computer. I've added a client.conf file pointing at my
19 >dad's machine. I'm now trying to figure out if I've configured cupsd
20 >correctly on my dad's machine to allow my mom's machine to see it.
21 >
22 > What commands can I run from the command line to see whether a
23 >printer is available? My parents are not terribly computer literate
24 >(who is in their 80's) so I need to ensure this is really working
25 >before I tell them to use it.
26 >
27 > Also, if a client points itself at a cups server and finds a
28 >printer there, does the client need to install the printer 'locally'
29 >telling its own cups that the printer is out there or does the printer
30 >just start showing up in applications and cups running on both
31 >machines takes care of the printe formatting issues? Essentially, how
32 >much does Open Office on the client need to know about the printer on
33 >the server?
34 >
35 >Thanks,
36 >Mark