From: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext4 inode limit reached
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 10:08:35
1 On 13.12.2011 01:44, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > On my system, /usr/portage currently contains 127000 files. But for reason of
3 > increased performance I put it into a squashfs file. (There was a nice howto
4 > on this ML some months ago). You could try that, which will free those inodes
5 > up and ideally leaves you with one used inode for the squashfs image. Plus, if
6 > you have enough RAM, you could put /var/tmp/portage into tmpfs. I have 3GB,
7 > and this is fairly enough. For other hogs like firefox, LO and java, I use
8 > binary packages though.
9 > For comparision, I too have one (seldom two) kernel source trees and everything
10 > else on / except /home. And while of the 17GB capacity barely 1GB is left free,
11 > I still have 480k inodes free of the 1M in total. (I figured that I may have
12 > more space for content if I reserved less for inodes).
13 I had portage in a squashfs before too - that was nice :)
14 That's also the reason I had /usr/portage /var/cache/edb and /var/db/pkg
15 on one filesystem - all together in the squashfs :)
16 Because one day my / became full I moved /usr/src onto that partition
17 too (it was now on a reiser3fs). All fine, and other partitions less
18 fragmented... until I moved to ext4.
19
20 Now I have a SSD, and it's simpler than squashfs'ing and still fast.
21 distfiles is on a HDD (Thinkpad notebook with ultrabay - love it) and
22 compilation on tmpfs (8GB RAM, so no problems). I always have like 8
23 kernel trees lying around, so there are already like 400k files... For
24 various reasons I like to keep my stuff on separate partitions -> my
25 system is distributed over 6 partitions and my personal data over 3
26 partitions :)
27
28 That inode-trouble was actually quiet interesting ;)
29
30 Daniel
33 PGP key @ http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?search=0xBB9D4887&op=get
34 # gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://subkeys.pgp.net 0xBB9D4887