From: Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I update *every* ebuild?
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 20:08:33
1 On 23 January 2013 11:53, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
3 <snip/>
4 >> emerge --update --deep --newuse world
5 >> emerge --update --deep --newuse system
6 <snip/>
7 >> So how can I update really *every* ebuild?
8 >
9 > And in answer...you've got it right. (Though I would use @world and/or
10 > @system, rather than leaving off the @)
11
12 Why? While "@world" refers to the world set explicitly, it does
13 exactly the same as "world", doesn't it?. You could save a whole
14 character! ;-) More seriously, the @ character isn't easy to type so
15 I'd rather avoid it unless there is a real benefit to using it.
16
17 More to the point, doing "emerge ... system" *after* "emerge ...
18 world" seems pointless. World includes system so I would expect
19 everything in system to already have been updated. It would make more
20 sense to start with "emerge ... system" but even then: what is the
21 advantage over simply (only) running "emerge ... world"?
22
23 Cheers,
24 Hilco