From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Profile listings
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 13:38:57
1 Peter Humphrey <peter <at> prh.myzen.co.uk> writes:
4 > On Sunday 21 Jun 2015 22:02:02 Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > portage for a long long time went in /usr/portage because that's where
6 > > FreeBSD put it, and drobbins was mightily enthralled by FreeBSD.
7 There is no dir '/var/portage' on my system. Yet this command works fine:
8
9 "PORTAGE_PROFILE=/var/portage/profiles/default/linux/arm/13.0/armv7a eix -c
10 --system "
11
12 Strange, to say the least.
16 > > But it's a stupid place for it to go on Linux and most of the sane
17 > > technical Gentoo world agrees it really is a better fit in /var/portage.
18 > > However, due to a highly unlikely confluence of the phases of the moon
19 > > and an oddly-painted bikeshed (aquamarine with ochre polka dots), no-one
20 > > seems to have ever gotten around to actually fixing it once and for all
21 > > everywhere.
22
23 "pig-mess" like I said earlier.
27 > > Bottom line: folks will see both in real life.
28 > > Procedure: If you have the one, and see the other, then just change the
29 > > top-level dir in what you see.
30 >
31 > Or, as I do, put it in its own partition and you can mount it wherever
32 > you like. Just point make.conf and repos.conf/gentoo.conf at it.
35 Yea, yea, I can make a custom mess too: aka brilliantly (in my own mind)
36 organize it, I mean.
39 The bottom line for me is:
40
41 1) folks should be able to migrated up and down the profile tree. It's give
42 us some neat abilities. If I have a workstation that becomes old, I could
43 change the profile and move it'down' to default or embedded and turn it
44 into a decicated, minimized router, firewall, bridge, sniffer etc etc. I
45 think the offcial word is changing profiles is not recommended.
46
47 2) Some thing of a profile needs to exist between an embedded system
48 (busybox only) and the default.
49
50 3) I'm looking forward to a gentoo-standard where systems can be fully
51 audited to account for each and every file. Sure you can do this now, if you
52 plann and do lots of things from the beginning as well as with every
53 install. Maybe Glep64 will be the catalyst for system tools to support this
54 (security) feature.
55
56 4) most importantly: my cluster research and experiences have yielded a
57 startling and wonderful epiphany. That is Clusters/clouds/<distributed
58 whatever> runs fastest and most reliably on bare metal. Embedded Gentoo is
59 my pathway to direct and easy access to bare metal clusters. Cleaning up the
60 profiles just seems logical to me, after noodling around with in the
61 profiles......
62
63 5) Also, security in the cluster/cloud world is almost impossible building
64 clusters on top of 'bloated OSes and bloated system packages'. YMMV.
65 Containers nor VM is going to keep clusters/clouds secure; and those sort of
66 herculean efforts, currently underway, are akin to patching a 200 year old,
67 worm infested, wooden ship, whilst rounding Cape Horn.....
68
69 It's actually hilarious to watch and listen to these fools...... The NSA
70 is probably clandestinely cloud funding all these cloud vendors.....
71 (ah ha ha ha ha ha) !
74 Thanks to all for the education.
75 HI_ho HI_ho
76 a profiling we go