From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Profile listings
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 23:54:02
1 On Sunday 21 Jun 2015 22:02:02 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > portage for a long long time went in /usr/portage because that's where
3 > FreeBSD put it, and drobbins was mightily enthralled by FreeBSD.
4 >
5 > But it's a stupid place for it to go on Linux and most of the sane
6 > technical Gentoo world agrees it really is a better fit in /var/portage.
7 > However, due to a highly unlikely confluence of the phases of the moon
8 > and an oddly-painted bikeshed (aquamarine with ochre polka dots), no-one
9 > seems to have ever gotten around to actually fixing it once and for all
10 > everywhere.
11 >
12 > Bottom line: folks will see both in real life.
13 > Procedure: If you have the one, and see the other, then just change the
14 > top-level dir in what you see.
15
16 Or, as I do, put it in its own partition and you can mount it wherever you
17 like. Just point make.conf and repos.conf/gentoo.conf at it.
18
19 Actually, using LVM on RAID-1 I have portage, packages and distfiles all in
20 their own partitions; just three of 15 under /dev/vg7.
23 Rgds
24 Peter