From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub broke out of the blue
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 08:09:04
1 On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 06:17:07 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > I've no idea how it broke, but after an emerge --sync, a kernel
4 > (gentoo-sources) update was there. After I compiled the kernel, I did
5 > the usual "make modules_install && make install". I edited grub.conf
6 > only to the point of changing the booted kernel to the
7 > new one (just a matter of changing -r1 to -r2 at the end of the kernel
8 > filename). I reboot, Grub stops working. It just displays "GRUB" and
9 > hangs there.
10
11 Could you have inadvertently made more of a change to grub.conf than
12 that? Grub is notoriously fragile when it comes to its config file?
13
14 Why did you edit it in the first place? As you used make install,you will
15 have symlinks from vmlinuz and vmlinuz.old to the new and previous
16 kernels. Use these in GRUB and there's no need to edit anything.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 File Not Found - Loading something that looks similar