From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: DRM Problem : Radeon HD 7670M
Date: Wed, 04 May 2016 17:44:46
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 > > Therefore, I check the configuration of grub2 and fstab. Then I found
5 > > that I forgot to modify mount options in fstab.
6 > > The option of my boot partition was set as noauto. So that I don't use
7 > > the kernel compiled by myself at all.
8
9 > We've all done that. Now I mount /boot as ro in fstab. That way, if I
10 > forget to remount it before installing a kernel I get an error message
11 > instead of the kernel just disappearing.
15 Perhaps a documentation bug should be filed against the handbook or other
16 gentoo doc explaining some of the security and other approaches
17 and *why* various approaches are used with mounting strategies for /boot/ is
18 warranted?
19
20 That way, if folks miss it, we can just refer them to the docs and elaborate
21 a bit. Me, I like to keep lots of kernels around for a variety
22 of reasons. Maybe in the GSoC effort (Kernelconfig) is a better place to
23 implement some explanation on the choices of what to do with /boot/ ? [1]
26 Anyway, I'm glad to hear that all is fine now.
27
28 James
31 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2016/Ideas/kernelconfig