From: Martins Steinbergs <mar@××.lv>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] converting any video to mpeg-1, mpeg-4 or DivX-5
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 05:11:53
2 > > I have lots of different types of video files - from short funny ads, to
3 > > 1/2 hr tv episodes, to full movies, in all sorts of formats - wmv, avi,
4 > > mpeg, etc.
5 > >
6 > > I want to find a program (hopefully only 1!) that will help convert them
7 > > to a format playable by the device. I'm happy if thats a command line
8 > > only program. I will probably copy them 1 by 1 as I want to watch them.
9 >
10 > mencoder / transcode
11
12 ill bet for ffmpeg
15 > > Space it not too much of an issue (I'll eventually have about 60Gb on
16 > > the device) - I'd rather not lessen the quality any more than it is
17 > > already.
18 > >
19 > > So, here are my questions:
20 > > 1. whats the best format to use out of the ones listed, given
21 > > a) Good quality (not much less than, or the same as original)
22 > > b) Size reasonable - large files ok, but compression is always a
23 > > bonus)
24 >
25 > DivX
26
27 try xvid mpeg4 and theres many more with different sources, or google for
28 codecs and artefacts and stuff like that to pick best.
31 > > 2. what program will convert 'anything' to said format.
32 >
33 > See above
34 >
35 > > Many thanks for your suggestions.
39 > > DivX-5.x
40 > > Resolution : 720x480@25fps or 640x480@30fps
41 > > Bit Rate : 4Mbps
42 > > Audio : MPEG-1 Layer III, AAC, ADPCM
43 > > Format :.AVI ,
44 > > Remark:DivX-3.x/4.x unsupported
45 >
46 > Pick this
49 converting wmv and other low quality sources with these settings will fill
50 your fresh device pretty soon. setting bitrate above 1800 kb/s isn't
51 necessary, almost no gain in quality.
52
53 martins
54 --
55 Linux 2.6.14-ck6 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
56 06:48:02 up 3:00, 5 users, load average: 4.43, 3.96, 3.23