From: Chris White <chriswhite@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] converting any video to mpeg-1, mpeg-4 or DivX-5
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 04:05:02
1 On Thursday 15 December 2005 12:45, Iain Buchanan wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I have a shiny new usb "media drive" (with internal hd, lcd, AV out)
5 > that plays photos, music and video. I have a few choices for video[1].
6
7 I want one
8
9 > I have lots of different types of video files - from short funny ads, to
10 > 1/2 hr tv episodes, to full movies, in all sorts of formats - wmv, avi,
11 > mpeg, etc.
12 >
13 > I want to find a program (hopefully only 1!) that will help convert them
14 > to a format playable by the device. I'm happy if thats a command line
15 > only program. I will probably copy them 1 by 1 as I want to watch them.
16
17 mencoder / transcode
18
19 > Space it not too much of an issue (I'll eventually have about 60Gb on
20 > the device) - I'd rather not lessen the quality any more than it is
21 > already.
22 >
23 > So, here are my questions:
24 > 1. whats the best format to use out of the ones listed, given
25 > a) Good quality (not much less than, or the same as original)
26 > b) Size reasonable - large files ok, but compression is always a
27 > bonus)
28
29 DivX
30
31 > 2. what program will convert 'anything' to said format.
32
33 See above
34
35 > Many thanks for your suggestions.
39 > DivX-5.x
40 > Resolution : 720x480@25fps or 640x480@30fps
41 > Bit Rate : 4Mbps
42 > Audio : MPEG-1 Layer III, AAC, ADPCM
43 > Format :.AVI ,
44 > Remark:DivX-3.x/4.x unsupported
45
46 Pick this
47
48 > --
49 > Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>
50 >
51 > Even historians fail to learn from history -- they repeat the same
52 > mistakes. -- John Gill, "Patterns of Force", stardate 2534.7
53
54 Chris White