From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] converting any video to mpeg-1, mpeg-4 or DivX-5
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 03:50:22
1 Hi all,
2
3 I have a shiny new usb "media drive" (with internal hd, lcd, AV out)
4 that plays photos, music and video. I have a few choices for video[1].
5
6 I have lots of different types of video files - from short funny ads, to
7 1/2 hr tv episodes, to full movies, in all sorts of formats - wmv, avi,
8 mpeg, etc.
9
10 I want to find a program (hopefully only 1!) that will help convert them
11 to a format playable by the device. I'm happy if thats a command line
12 only program. I will probably copy them 1 by 1 as I want to watch them.
13
14 Space it not too much of an issue (I'll eventually have about 60Gb on
15 the device) - I'd rather not lessen the quality any more than it is
16 already.
17
18 So, here are my questions:
19 1. whats the best format to use out of the ones listed, given
20 a) Good quality (not much less than, or the same as original)
21 b) Size reasonable - large files ok, but compression is always a
22 bonus)
23 2. what program will convert 'anything' to said format.
26 Many thanks for your suggestions.
29 [1] Video formats:
30 MPEG-1
31 Resolution :352X288@30fps
32 Bit Rate :1.5Mbps
33 Audio :MPEG-1 Layer II/III
34 Format :.MPG/.DAT ,VCD
35
36 MPEG-4
37 Resolution : 720x480@25fps or 640x480@30fps
38 Bit Rate : 4Mbps
39 Audio : AAC
40 Format :.MP4 ,Simple Profile without 4MV
41
42 DivX-5.x
43 Resolution : 720x480@25fps or 640x480@30fps
44 Bit Rate : 4Mbps
45 Audio : MPEG-1 Layer III, AAC, ADPCM
46 Format :.AVI ,
47 Remark:DivX-3.x/4.x unsupported
52 Even historians fail to learn from history -- they repeat the same mistakes.
53 -- John Gill, "Patterns of Force", stardate 2534.7
56 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list