From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Windows XP on Gentoo Laptop
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 18:49:02
1 On Tuesday 06 May 2008, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Good luck. After backing up my Gentoo laptop install I can confirm
3 > that the HP Recovery Disk that comes with the laptop blows the whole
4 > disk away and reformats it like it was new from the factory. With
5 > this disk anyway there was no way to get Vista onto the disk and save
6 > the existing Gentoo install. that will have to be reloaded form
7 > backups.
8
9 Piffle, that's nothing. At least your Windows installer would have given
10 you a prompt.
11
12 At my last job I got given a brand new Dell notebook with Windows on it.
13 I had it 10 minutes when I took it into my Red Hat course room and
14 switched on. A student was asking questions and I got distracted, so
15 absent-mindedly got into the BIOS setup and changed the boot order.
16 Next time I looked, Windows was *gone* and a full default RHEL 4
17 install was in place (!). No prompt, no warning, nadda, zip.
18
19 The absence of Windows was welcome, the absence of a prompt was less so.
20 Then again, I should have known better seeing as the idiot who set up
21 the PXE server originally was me :-)
25 Alan McKinnon
26 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
29 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list