From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Windows XP on Gentoo Laptop
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 18:04:30
1 On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Sat, 3 May 2008 10:44:01 +0100
3 > Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 <SNIP>
5 > > I would suggest - as long as you live in Sweden - the famous 9-in-1
6 > > OEM CD, from your favourite swashbuckling sea-dog. Arrrrr, me
7 > > hearties! This be perfectly legal because the the sticker on the
8 > > underside of the the laptop is the license for XP, not the CD itself.
11 Again, to be careful, make sure that OEM copy has a license number. do
12 not depend on your laptop's install CD's license number ot work. My HP
13 license numbers didn't work with the M$/EOM disks.
14 >
15 > Thanks to you folks for all the great info. Just happen to have an OEM
16 > copy of XP Pro kicking about and a sticker on the bottom of the laptop
17 > with a product key for the same. Looks like I'm good to go.
20 Good luck. After backing up my Gentoo laptop install I can confirm
21 that the HP Recovery Disk that comes with the laptop blows the whole
22 disk away and reformats it like it was new from the factory. With this
23 disk anyway there was no way to get Vista onto the disk and save the
24 existing Gentoo install. that will have to be reloaded form backups.
25
26 Have fun!
27
28 - Mark