From: Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Windows XP on Gentoo Laptop
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 17:24:31
1 On Sat, 3 May 2008 10:44:01 +0100
2 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > On 2 May 2008, at 19:03, Mark Knecht wrote:
6 > > On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Michael Higgins
7 > > <linux@×××××××.org> wrote:
8 > >> (Saw a similar thread, going the wrong way.)
9 > >>
10 > >> I have a laptop with a spare partition waiting for WinXP, to
11 > >> install from Dell OEM disks that came originally.
12 > >
13 > > I would be very careful about installing from OEM disks. My HP OEM
14 > > disks will actually blow ALL the partitions on the drive away,
15 > > repartition and reformat the whole drive back to the way it was
16 > > shipped from the factory.
17 >
18 > What he said.
19 >
20 > > Better if you can find a regular retail copy
21 > > of XP.
22 >
23 > Better if he can find a regular _OEM_ copy of XP.
24 >
25 > > Note that in the case of this HP Vista license it only works
26 > > with the OEM install. The license is no good with a normal copy of
27 > > Vista.
30 > Right. Same with XP.
31 >
32 [8<]
33 > The OEM license numbers don't work with a retail installation CD &
34 > vice-versa. So what Michael needs is a Microsoft-branded OEM
35 > installation CD. These work with any OEM license number (even if the
36 > sticker says "Dell" or "HP" on it), as long as the Home /
37 > Professional versioning is correct.
38 >
39 > I would suggest - as long as you live in Sweden - the famous 9-in-1
40 > OEM CD, from your favourite swashbuckling sea-dog. Arrrrr, me
41 > hearties! This be perfectly legal because the the sticker on the
42 > underside of the the laptop is the license for XP, not the CD itself.
43 >
44 > Stroller.
45
46 Thanks to you folks for all the great info. Just happen to have an OEM
47 copy of XP Pro kicking about and a sticker on the bottom of the laptop
48 with a product key for the same. Looks like I'm good to go.
49
50 Cheers,
55 | |ichael | |iggins \^ /
56 michael.higgins[at]evolone[dot]org