From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Windows XP on Gentoo Laptop
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 09:44:10
1 On 2 May 2008, at 19:03, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Michael Higgins
3 > <linux@×××××××.org> wrote:
4 >> (Saw a similar thread, going the wrong way.)
5 >>
6 >> I have a laptop with a spare partition waiting for WinXP, to install
7 >> from Dell OEM disks that came originally.
8 >
9 > I would be very careful about installing from OEM disks. My HP OEM
10 > disks will actually blow ALL the partitions on the drive away,
11 > repartition and reformat the whole drive back to the way it was
12 > shipped from the factory.
13
14 What he said.
15
16 > Better if you can find a regular retail copy
17 > of XP.
18
19 Better if he can find a regular _OEM_ copy of XP.
20
21 > Note that in the case of this HP Vista license it only works
22 > with the OEM install. The license is no good with a normal copy of
23 > Vista.
26 Right. Same with XP.
27
28 Basically Microsoft sell XP in a glossy box on the shelves of PC
29 World, and they also sell it a cardboard sleeve which is licensed for
30 OEM use only; if you're Bob's Computers you can buy these singly and
31 it comes with a sticker to stick on the computer's case, just like
32 the license stickers you see on a brand new Compaq or HP.
33
34 Although the likes of Dell, HP & Packard Hell may make their own
35 reinstall CDs (which we surely can't trust not to mess up the
36 partitions), this isn't a realistic proposition for Bob's Computers -
37 but don't worry, Microsoft make an install CD for him and supply it
38 in the single-pack version of XP OEM.
39
40 The OEM license numbers don't work with a retail installation CD &
41 vice-versa. So what Michael needs is a Microsoft-branded OEM
42 installation CD. These work with any OEM license number (even if the
43 sticker says "Dell" or "HP" on it), as long as the Home /
44 Professional versioning is correct.
45
46 I would suggest - as long as you live in Sweden - the famous 9-in-1
47 OEM CD, from your favourite swashbuckling sea-dog. Arrrrr, me
48 hearties! This be perfectly legal because the the sticker on the
49 underside of the the laptop is the license for XP, not the CD itself.
50
51 Stroller.
52 --
53 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list