From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Install Windows XP on Gentoo Laptop
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 18:03:41
1 On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:52 AM, Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org> wrote:
2 > (Saw a similar thread, going the wrong way.)
3 >
4 > I have a laptop with a spare partition waiting for WinXP, to install
5 > from Dell OEM disks that came originally.
6 >
7 > Is this possible? I understand XP will overwrite the MBR. So, I'd have
8 > to re-install grub & that's it? '-)
9 >
10 > Cheers,
11 >
12 > --
13 > |\ /| | | ~ ~
14 > | \/ | |---| `|` ?
15 > | |ichael | |iggins \^ /
16 > michael.higgins[at]evolone[dot]org
17
18 I would be very careful about installing from OEM disks. My HP OEM
19 disks will actually blow ALL the partitions on the drive away,
20 repartition and reformat the whole drive back to the way it was
21 shipped from the factory. Better if you can find a regular retail copy
22 of XP. Note that in the case of this HP Vista license it only works
23 with the OEM install. The license is no good with a normal copy of
24 Vista.
25
26 The other issue I'm having right now is that XP is installed and the
27 machine boots just fine but a 2001 XP disk doesn't have drivers to
28 enable networking support so the machine cannot get to the net for
29 updates. I think now I'll start on the Gentoo install, get a drive set
30 up that the XP partition can see (small FAT or NTFS drive) and then
31 use Gentoo to get the drivers onto the system so that XP can start
32 working. You might not have that problem with your OEM disk as they
33 certainly have the right drivers for your hardware.
34
35 Hope this helps,
36 Mark
37 --