From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How does grub assemble a RAID1 for / ??
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 19:31:05
1 On 04/04/2010 19:43, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4
5 >> Aside from all of that, notable options that are going to be required to
6 >> boot in your case are:
7 >>
8 >> CONFIG_MD_RAID1
9 >> CONFIG_SATA_AHCI
10 >> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD
11 >> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR
12 >> CONFIG_MSDOS_PARTITION (normally implicit but worth mentioning)
13 >>
14 >> That, and the option corresponding with whichever filesystem you use. Also,
15 >> make sure CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 is off or else udev will balk. You may
16 >> use the forward slash key to search for option names in make menuconfig
17 >> (never edit .config directly). All needed options should be enabled as<*>.
18 >>
19 >> Also, if you're not experienced with kernel configuration and need a
20 >> skeleton .config with which to begin, I would suggest you take a look at
21 >> http://kernel-seeds.org.
22 >>
23 >> Cheers,
24 >>
25 >> --Kerin
26 >
27 > Sorry. I was on a Windows box and it looks like putty cut it off.
28 > Booted into Linux and this looks more correct. (2424 lines in vi on
29 > that machine and 2424 lines in late on this machine so I think it's
30 > all there...)
31 >
32 > I looked at your suggestions above and they are all set to =y.
33 > CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED_V2 is 'not set'.
34 >
35 > - Mark
36 >
37 > #
38 > # Automatically generated make config: don't edit
39 > # Linux kernel version: 2.6.33-gentoo
40 > # Sun Apr 4 09:56:49 2010
41 > #
42
43 [snip long config]
44
45 Ah, that looks better. Not that I've pored over every line, but at first
46 glance everything seems to be in order. There are no obvious gotchas
47 that I can see, so I'm somewhat puzzled.
48
49 Here are a few random things that spring to mind though ...
50
51 I would suggest switching off CONFIG_IDE. It may contend for control of
52 your hardware with the AHCI driver, assuming that emulation/comptability
53 mode is enabled in the BIOS.
54
55 The device nodes may be unavailable at the time that they are needed,
56 for some strange reason. If you mount the root filesystem from a livecd
57 (with no bind mounts), try creating static nodes in dev/:
58
59 mknod /dev/md0 b 9 0
60 mknod /dev/md1 b 9 1
61 mknod /dev/md2 b 9 2
62 mknod /dev/md3 b 9 3
63
64 Note that the preferred minor of your array can be determined by
65 examining any component partition. For instance, "mdadm -E /dev/sdb3".
66
67 Avoid manual specification of the RAID parameters. The kernel should be
68 perfectly able to assemble the array by examining the superblocks of
69 partitions of type "FD".
70
71 Does it work if you specify "root=/dev/sdb3" or "root=/dev/sdc3"? With
72 raid1, it's possible to mount just the component partition (although it
73 will later result in a resync). The point is, it would at least confirm
74 as to whether the underlying block devices are available to the kernel
75 from the outset.
76
77 Cheers,
78