From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How does grub assemble a RAID1 for / ??
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 20:03:11
1 On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > Ah, that looks better. Not that I've pored over every line, but at first
5 > glance everything seems to be in order. There are no obvious gotchas that I
6 > can see, so I'm somewhat puzzled.
7
8 As am I!
11 > Here are a few random things that spring to mind though ...
12 >
13 > I would suggest switching off CONFIG_IDE. It may contend for control of your
14 > hardware with the AHCI driver, assuming that emulation/comptability mode is
15 > enabled in the BIOS.
16 >
17 > The device nodes may be unavailable at the time that they are needed, for
18 > some strange reason. If you mount the root filesystem from a livecd (with no
19 > bind mounts), try creating static nodes in dev/:
20 >
21 >  mknod /dev/md0 b 9 0
22 >  mknod /dev/md1 b 9 1
23 >  mknod /dev/md2 b 9 2
24 >  mknod /dev/md3 b 9 3
25
26 So this suggests that because I did the install from a running Gentoo
27 chroot that the mknod commands didn't stick? Somehow they were part
28 of, or because part of, the host Gentoo non-RAID install? Interesting.
29
30 I'll boot next ffrom the Live CD and try it.
33 > Note that the preferred minor of your array can be determined by examining
34 > any component partition. For instance, "mdadm -E /dev/sdb3".
35
36 That's what I thought from the install guide but it seemed others here
37 had other opions.
40 > Avoid manual specification of the RAID parameters. The kernel should be
41 > perfectly able to assemble the array by examining the superblocks of
42 > partitions of type "FD".
43 >
44 > Does it work if you specify "root=/dev/sdb3" or "root=/dev/sdc3"? With
45 > raid1, it's possible to mount just the component partition (although it will
46 > later result in a resync). The point is, it would at least confirm as to
47 > whether the underlying block devices are available to the kernel from the
48 > outset.
49
50 OK, this was interesting, and I suppose it depends on what you mean
51 'should work'. Clearly it gets much further, into the interactive
52 portion of the boot with the green asterics on the right. When it
53 finally gets to the md0 portion it says the the superblock does not
54 correctly specify an ext2 filesystem and asks for a password or
55 Control D. Control D reboots and entering the password results in a
56 (none) prompt and seems to require a hard reset. None the less it got
57 much further, but not to a usable state.
58
59 Off to do the Live CD work. Back in 30 minutes.
60
61 Cheers,
62 Mark