From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] After logging into a console. text flashes on the screen and returns to the login
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 15:43:17
1 Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> [16-01-30 16:16]:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I have an ARM device that I have Gentoo on. In the past I had it
4 > successfully running and then one day I managed to "customise" something
5 > and I could no longer get it to boot. At the time I though "I'll have to
6 > fix that...". Today I'm trying.
7 >
8 > The machine in question operates as a small server hence runs headless.
9 > For the work at hand, I've attached it to the TV hence everything is in
10 > text mode, no X.
11 >
12 > When it boots, I'm presented with the login prompt. I enter "root", the
13 > password & enter. The screen flashes, a frame by frame viewing of a
14 > video of this shows that it's printing the last time I logged in and
15 > then am represented with the login again. This just repeats. I though
16 > that I had forgotten the root password hence accessed the disk via
17 > another machine, reset things in the shadow file and rebooted. Once
18 > again the screen flashed, with the same output, and I was presented with
19 > the login prompt again.
20 >
21 > Any thought on what could be going wrong here? I've ensured all the
22 > files that should be owned by root are owned by root - I think. Logging
23 > appears not to be working so I can't get much from that. I'm 99.99% sure
24 > this is not an ARM specific problem as the machine was running perfectly
25 > beforehand.
26 >
27 > Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
28 >
29 > Andrew
33 Hi Andrew,
34
35 things which came into my mind (in no specific order):
36
37 - default shell wrongly set
38 - $HOME points to Shangrila
39 - fstab corrupted so that vital parts of the root tree get
40 not correctly mounted on tmpfs like /var, /tmp and such.
41
42 Does this ARM system has an UART, which spits out the whole
43 boot process and more so there may be a chance to get closer
44 to any informations (error logs etc)?
45
46 Fingers crossed!
47 Good luck!
48