From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Xinerama vs TwinView for dual monitor setup
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 14:30:33
1 On 2008-10-12, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >> Cons:
4 >>
5 >> * You can't drag a window from one display to the other.
6 >
7 > This is pretty much a requirement for how I like to do things
8 > at work
9
10 Two displays is probably not an option for you.
11
12 > The rest of your pros and cons either suit me just fine or
13 > don't feature at all. As for multiple desktops on a screen, I
14 > would just dispend with this.
15
16 I guess I don't know how anybody can get along conveniently
17 with just one desktops. Perhaps other people don't get
18 interrupted while working on one task and have to switch to a
19 different task. Once I've got a desktop set up for the task at
20 hand, I find it much easier to switch to a new desktop when I
21 need to open up a bunch of new windows/programs to handle an
22 interruption.
23
24 > The one thing I really do want to do is launch a reply window
25 > from kmail and drag it to the second monitor, where I use it
26 > like it was a big sticky note scratch-pad. I do the same thing
27 > with wiki pages, pdfs and other reference docs while working
28 > on the main monitor (which itself tends have many windows
29 > open on it).
30
31 That's what I do: I usually have PDF documents, e-mails, web
32 pages, etc. open on one screen while I work on code on the
33 other. At other times I have code and build windows on one
34 display and test-driver programs on the other.
35
36 But, Instead of dragging things from one monitor to the other, I
37 just open them where I want them.
38
39 > I don't think I would be able to do this with your setup,
40 > please correct me if I'm wrong?
41
42 I'm not entirely sure what "this" is. I usually know where I'm
43 going to want a window and I open on the appropriate display.
46 Grant