From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Xinerama vs TwinView for dual monitor setup
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 08:04:47
1 On Sunday 12 October 2008 00:36:17 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2008-10-11, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > My research into nvidia's docs leads me to believe that TwinView is
4 > > designed to make the presence of two physical monitors invisible and
5 > > present one giant X screen, with a funky API for dead spaces (which may
6 > > or may not work). I'm thinking Xinerama is the better option, despite the
7 > > fact that it's old, clunky, hopeless at dealing with XRandR and can't be
8 > > changed on the fly. I'm happy to set up two ServerLayouts to deal with
9 > > this.
10 > >
11 > > I'd appreciate some pros and cons feedback from the list before I embark
12 > > on a huge emerge -e world to include Xinerama support.
13 >
14 > There's a third option you haven't mentioned: two different
15 > displays rather than a large virtual display spread across two
16 > monitors. After reading up on the options, it's what I chose
17 > to do.
18 >
19 > Cons:
20 >
21 > * You can't drag a window from one display to the other.
22
23 This is pretty much a requirement for how I like to do things at work
24
25 The rest of your pros and cons either suit me just fine or don't feature at
26 all. As for multiple desktops on a screen, I would just dispend with this.
27
28 The one thing I really do want to do is launch a reply window from kmail and
29 drag it to the second monitor, where I use it like it was a big sticky note
30 scratch-pad. I do the same thing with wiki pages, pdfs and other reference
31 docs while working on the main monitor (which itself tends have many windows
32 open on it).
33
34 I don't think I would be able to do this with your setup, please correct me if
35 I'm wrong?
38 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com