From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Xinerama vs TwinView for dual monitor setup
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 22:36:48
1 On 2008-10-11, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > My research into nvidia's docs leads me to believe that TwinView is designed
4 > to make the presence of two physical monitors invisible and present one giant
5 > X screen, with a funky API for dead spaces (which may or may not work). I'm
6 > thinking Xinerama is the better option, despite the fact that it's old,
7 > clunky, hopeless at dealing with XRandR and can't be changed on the fly. I'm
8 > happy to set up two ServerLayouts to deal with this.
9 >
10 > I'd appreciate some pros and cons feedback from the list before I embark on a
11 > huge emerge -e world to include Xinerama support.
12
13 There's a third option you haven't mentioned: two different
14 displays rather than a large virtual display spread across two
15 monitors. After reading up on the options, it's what I chose
16 to do.
17
18 Cons:
19
20 * You can't drag a window from one display to the other.
21
22 * Windows can't overlap from one display to the other.
23
24 * 3D HW accel and HW video overlay only available on one of
25 the displays.
26
27 Pros:
28
29 * Mouse movement and focus still act like one large display.
30
31 * Each display can have it's own set of virtual desktops and
32 they can be switched indpendantly.
33
34 * Things like window-manager panels/docs/taskbars are managed
35 separately for the two displays.
36
37 * Displays can have different resolutions, sizes, depths.
38
39 I particularly like having multiple virtual desktops for each
40 display and being able to independanly toggle the displays
41 among their virtual desktops. Once in a while I wish I could
42 drag a window from one display to the other, but not very
43 often.
46 Grant