From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo-sources-2.6.29 won't recognize my IDE chipset, at all.
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 14:50:33
1 Hung Dang wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Helmut Jarausch wrote:
7 >>> On 1 Apr, Dale wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>>> Hi,
12 >>>>
13 >>>> I been trying to upgrade my kernel and I seem to have ran into a huge
14 >>>> mountain. I finally got it to compile but when I try to boot it doesn't
15 >>>> recognize my IDE chipset at all. It only sees my CD and DVD but nothing
16 >>>> else.
17 >>>>
18 >>>> Here is some info: From lspci:
19 >>>>
20 >>>> 00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE (rev a2)
21 >>>>
22 >>>> From the config screen of the kernel:
23 >>>>
24 >>>> <*> AMD and nVidia IDE support
25 >>>>
26 >>>> And that is the correct driver for my chipset. I been using that driver
27 >>>> for several years now.
28 >>>>
29 >>>> Is this kernel hopeless?
30 >>>>
31 >>>>
32 >>>>
33 >>>>
34 >>> Have you changed the hardware?
35 >>>
36 >>> In that case, try to
37 >>>
38 >>> rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent*
39 >>>
40 >>> and boot again.
41 >>>
42 >>> Helmut.
43 >>>
44 >>>
45 >>>
46 >>>
47 >> No hardware change at all. To broke to do any of that right now. I am
48 >> currently starting a new kernel from scratch. I ran make mrproper and
49 >> all his friends and started from scratch. I'm hoping that I am just
50 >> missing something in oldconfig.
51 >>
52 >> Thanks.
53 >>
54 >> Dale
55 >>
56 >> :-) :-)
60 > Could you check if the of your hard drives are changed from /dev/hd* to
61 > /dev/sd*. If that is the case you may need to update your /etc/fstab
62 > and may be the boot loader.
63 >
64 > Hung
69 After recompiling from a scratch built kernel, it boots fine. I suspect
70 I messed up during make oldconfig or something was cleaned out by
71 mrproper. It does work now tho.
72
73 Still can't build my nvidia drivers tho. That is on another thread.
74
75 Thanks.
76
77 Dale