From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: May be OT: recommended niceness settings for Portage while using Gnome?
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 23:58:46
2 > PORTAGE_NICENESS=19
3 >
4 > Is best. However, also very important is "I/O nice". Setting an
5 > ionice value of "idle" will result in portage not blocking your other
6 > applications whey they need to do disk I/O:
7 >
8 > PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND="ionice -c 3 -p \${PID}"
9 >
10 > This needs a kernel newer than 2.6.16 and it has to be configured to
11 > use the CFQ scheduler. You know if that's the case if this command:
12 >
13 > zgrep CFQ /proc/config.gz
14 >
15 > says:
16 >
17 > CONFIG_IOSCHED_CFQ=y
18 > CONFIG_DEFAULT_CFQ=y
21 Hi,
22 where can I set PORTAGE_NICENESS and PORTAGE_IONICE_COMMAND ?
23
24 Kind regards,
25 mcc
28 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
29 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
30 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
31 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.